http://itsalmostnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-dont-want-my-children-to-be-happy.html
How about it, huh?
Wow...another arrow straight through the heart today! (I get those a lot)
I don't know about you but I really needed that.
I do try to teach my children about contentment and I do understand the difference between happiness and holiness...but do I live it?
If I am being honest with myself, no, I am not.
I often (sometimes LITERALLY) whine and moan and complain when I don't get what I want (discontent much?)...and very often times, I find myself NEEDING to be "happy" instead of focusing on being holy.
And ya know...more is caught than taught...so what they say is true.
I can try to teach my children to be holy and content but if I am not living it...how can I expect them to?
This post was a real eye opener for me today. Maybe it was for you too, I don't know.
In any case, I'm always happy (there's that word again) to pass on some encouragement to you all...
Happy Saturday!
XO

Philippians 4:11-13
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.


Hey Jennifer - thanks for your honesty about this post. I don't have any children watching me live my life (as of yet), but I very much do want my future children to be holy - not happy.
ReplyDeleteSo, am I living that way today? You've asked a challenging question of yourself that I am now asking myself. Thanks for the post.
Hey Esther! Thanks for becoming a new follower! I've added myself as a follower of your new blog as well. Good luck with it! I am really enjoying getting to know you through your writing. :) I can't wait to see what the future has for you, your husband and your future babies! :)
ReplyDeleteI read the link, Jen, and it really hit home. Thanks for sharing! It will greatly affect my parenting.
ReplyDelete