Saturday, March 6, 2010

Stairway to Heaven

My stairway leaves very little to be desired. The people who lived here before us were all hopped up on Victorian catnip and put these little chotchkies everywhere...including the stair risers. Ew. Brace yourselves.



See, I told you it was bad...ugh.

I have a very hard time living in spaces that I don't feel good in. And the only way that I can feel good...is if the space is pretty...and "me". Since we moved in (eh hem...2 years ago, I am embarrassed to say), I've had lots of ideas swarming inside my head but very few action plans. As much as I pride myself on being able to deck out a space, this house has left me blank on more than one occasion. I think that it's because I know that we're going to live here
forever
a REALLY long time and I want it to be PERFECT. Hence...designers block.

Yes, I'm a block head.

OK, I know that was rough. ;)

Part of the problem with our stairs is that I don't know what color we're going to go with the hardwood floor downstairs. Currently, our first floor is all shades of messed up when it comes to the flooring. The dining room is original hardwood because we HAD to rip up the carpet when we moved in (they had dogs, it was gross). The foyer is...get this...laminate hardwood on top of REAL hardwood because those Victorian catnippers screwed up when they tried to stain the hardwood and wound up leaving swirl marks that they did not want to fix...so, they chose to cover it up...brill people, I swear. The living room and office are currently carpet b/c we have yet to rip up that carpet (we weren't sure there even was hardwood underneath at first) and the kitchen is an AWFUL semi peachy tan ceramic tile that to me always looks dirty even when I've worked my butt off trying to clean it. Grrr. The stairs as you can see were stained a dark cherry color...which is soooo annoying b/c is any of the other wood in the house dark cherry? Um...NO. Well, I guess not unless you count the original hardwood that's been swirlafied underneath of the fake hardwood in the foyer. It seriously could make me cry. But that is silly. I know how blessed we are. On the outside, my house is UBER CUTE. Love it to death. The inside just needs to be loved. I want to be it's lover but I'm having a hard time getting inspired...and motivated to love it into my very own personal perfection. So...I need some ideas...

Here is where the internet (and possibly YOU) come in...

Oh, I neglected to mention that the foyer is TINY...BUT, it is the first thing that you see when you walk in my front door so I want it to have serious WOW factor...you know, first impressions and all. ;) If any of you have a teeny foyer that you feel you really upped the anty with, please send me a comment with a link to your pretty space. I'd love some cool ideas! Doesn't matter if you don't think that we have the same style...I'm up for anything at this point! :)

I'd kind of love to do a very classic feel in the foyer...keep it light b/c of it being so small...possibly do some wood paneling...all white or cream...definitely some black framed prints going up the stairs...BUT...I'm thinking of doing something fun on the risers...something to make the space fun and give it that WOW factor I talked about before...and MAYBE a "stenciled" rug on the floor...I don't know...the world is my oyster... ;)

I don't like the natural steps, but I do like the design on the risers...







I really like the way that Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick decorated her stair wall - isn't it PRESH?

Ok, that's about all I got for ya today...hope that you enjoyed my little inspirational stairways to heaven...

Happy Saturday! Enjoy lots of precious time with the fam! :)

I'm gonna get out there and enjoy some of this SUN!!! Soak it up friends!

XO

The steps of a good (wo)man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
- Psalm 37:23

2 comments:

  1. I have an idea for you! If you like the look of the funky risers (which I think are cute too, as long as you go with something semi traditional so that you don't get sick of it 2 years from now) you can go to Michael's and spend $.50 on scrap book paper. You could them cut them to size and glue or somehow attach them to your risers. It would be cheap. Let's say you have 15 risers, you might need 4 pieces of paper per riser. It would only be about $30 for the entire project. OR you can always grab a piece of vinyl, trace a stencil design on it, cut it out, and stencil each step. That would be even cheaper. OR find a roll of cute wall paper on a sale rack somewhere....Hm, now I want to tackle my ugly, stained carpet stairs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to rip the carpet off my stairs and do what Sarah (TDC) did. My friend, Julie just did it and it turned out great! At least that part is done for you already. For now you could just pry those wooden designs off and sand and repaint it. And I like the idea of the box molding going up the stairway or the wide strip of color at the bottom like Sarah has as well. . I actually think your stairs are really pretty, chotchkies and all! Maybe just paint them to match the risers so they don't stand out so much, but still add some interest.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...