Okay, so I have a tad bit of the post vacay blues. That combined with PMS has not been a good thing. BUT, I assure you, I am starting to come out of it and just about ready to get back into the real world EVEN THOUGH vacation world is SO MUCH BETTER. ;)
I missed my kids...really, I did. BUT...I mean come on...vacation...with adults whom I ADORE...for a full 7 days...all of which did not include one single moment of whining (well, except when we had to leave)...cutting anyone's food...cranky bedtimes (well...there were moments...lol)...sticky messes that I had to clean up...AND I didn't have to make one meal all week?! Not to mention that I didn't once have to pretend that I was listening to a completely self-absorbed ramble session with the main topic of fishing or windows ALL WEEK (if you know me, you WILL understand and I apologize in advance if that somehow offends you). It was heaven, people. Completely and utterly. And I miss it. And them. The them being my cousin Kelly and her boyfriend Steve (I had the pleasure of being in Kim's company last night - thank the LORD - I was going through withdrawal).
But alas...all good things must come to an end. Which really is a raw deal in my opinion.
So...this week has been a little rough. Honestly, I haven't minded getting back into mom mode...the cooking, the cleaning, the endless laundering, the changing of dirty diapers...
The missed kisses, hugs and "I love you, Mommy"'s have more than made up for that.
But I desperately miss the laughing, the great conversations (with several of THE FUNNIEST people on the planet), the relaxation, the good food, the clean air, the scenery, the doing what we want when we want it...
I'm sure to some, this totally sounds selfish on my part and you're entitled to your opinion (just keep it out of the comments cause quite franky...YOU HAVE NO IDEA...and I really don't wanna hear it).
Here at home, the conversation is seriously lacking...the laughing usually comes from the "if you don't laugh, you'll cry" variety...the relaxation is null and void, the good food...well, we'll get to that...the clean air...um, no...the scenery...not so much, at least in my neck of the woods.
I know. I'm whining. I have so much to be thankful for and I know it. Please allow me some time to grieve. I know it's pathetic and I own that.
Oh! Here's an up note: I've been inspired to live a healthier life now that I am back. Been going to the gym for the past couple of days and I've been eating healthy too. Not really dieting, per se because that is typically a death sentence to my discipline before I even begin but I've been writing in a food/health journal (a really pretty silver notebook that I got from Marshall's on one of my many "I'm so depressed to be back that I have to shop" trips this week). For breakfast the last few days, I've been having this:

I didn't even know that I knew how to make an omelet! I was going to make an egg one day and I had 3 eggs left in the carton. I though...maybe I'll have 2...but then what about this last one? But then I thought, I do not want to and should definitely not eat 3 eggs...leeeeetle over the top... But then I got to thinking...ooooh, 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg wouldn't be that bad, right? Egg whites are good. And so, my omelet was born. I also added 1 slice of American cheese, some seat salt and some Mrs. Dash and hello.............YUM. So, now I am addicted. What is the policy on eggs again? Not sure how many you are allowed to have per week now. Those stupid theories are always changing! In addition to my omelet, I've been having fruit, black coffee (Folgers Gourmet Selections Creme Brule - YUM) and OJ.
And I feel good. It's tasty and it doesn't make me wanna take a nap everyday all day.
Something's gotta be said for that.
I've also been cutting out gluten. Well...mostly anyway. Last night, I did go to Subway and got a 6 in. turkey on 9 grain honey oat - is there gluten in that? I'm pretty sure there's gluten in all bread?
Also, staying away from junk though I did feel compelled to have some dark chocolate yesterday - it was delish - hey, it has health benefits, right? ;)
I'm feeling decent. Still have some bloating which may be from the dairy I've been using to overcompensate for the lack of bread (or PMS). I'm keeping track of trigger foods and quite honestly, dairy may be one for me. Which will completely devastate me but if it makes you feel better to go without then...hello, is there really a choice?
Hmmmmmm...let's see, what else can I tell you?
OH! SCHOOL'S OUT! Wednesday was the last day for the year and I am soooo excited. It's been a long year of running 2 kids back and forth to preschool every day, twice a day. Nic went Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Nat went Tuesday and Thursday. So, it was a lot of go go go and mid-day interuption every day. Ugh, so glad THAT's over!
On to days of being poolside at my parents place. My dad just opened it yesterday so we should be able to swim come Sunday or Monday. Yay! :)
Looking forward to Memorial Day...
I went to Kohl's yesterday and got adorable patriotic wear for the kiddies - can't wait to take pictures!
Also, got super cute cupcake cups/decor @ Wal*Mart and am planning on making blueberry/strawberry topped mini cheesecakes for our picnic @ my parents place.
Wal*Mart had some mini flags to decorate with as well so I picked up 2 of those for a couple of planters I have on my front porch. One of these days, we'll have to get our big flag hung back up! I just LOVE the American Flag.

By the way, Wal*Mart would so be my new Target if we had one that looked like the one we went to in Arizona. What is up with our Wal*Marts around here being more like Ghetto*Marts? All I'm thinkin' when I am in a Wal*Mart in our area is GHETTO me the H*** outta here. Ok, lame jab at a bad joke. lol ;)
Did pick up this super cute romper for Nat though - so wish that I could wear these:

The red is more muted in person and I love the double straps and the way that the back is slightly ruched. For $7 - who can beat it?
OH! SCHOOL'S OUT! Wednesday was the last day for the year and I am soooo excited. It's been a long year of running 2 kids back and forth to preschool every day, twice a day. Nic went Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Nat went Tuesday and Thursday. So, it was a lot of go go go and mid-day interuption every day. Ugh, so glad THAT's over!
On to days of being poolside at my parents place. My dad just opened it yesterday so we should be able to swim come Sunday or Monday. Yay! :)
Looking forward to Memorial Day...
I went to Kohl's yesterday and got adorable patriotic wear for the kiddies - can't wait to take pictures!
Also, got super cute cupcake cups/decor @ Wal*Mart and am planning on making blueberry/strawberry topped mini cheesecakes for our picnic @ my parents place.
Wal*Mart had some mini flags to decorate with as well so I picked up 2 of those for a couple of planters I have on my front porch. One of these days, we'll have to get our big flag hung back up! I just LOVE the American Flag.

By the way, Wal*Mart would so be my new Target if we had one that looked like the one we went to in Arizona. What is up with our Wal*Marts around here being more like Ghetto*Marts? All I'm thinkin' when I am in a Wal*Mart in our area is GHETTO me the H*** outta here. Ok, lame jab at a bad joke. lol ;)
Did pick up this super cute romper for Nat though - so wish that I could wear these:

The red is more muted in person and I love the double straps and the way that the back is slightly ruched. For $7 - who can beat it?
I also got some new face products since airline security confiscated mine from my carry on bag from Phoenix to Philadelphia:
I started out with Origins Checks and Balances Cleanser and Cetaphil Face Moisturizer BUT now that the Exton Origins has decided to close their store, I decided maybe it was time to switch things up a little. My skin is sensitive so this is always an unpleasant feat.
Here's what I decided on:
I started out with Origins Checks and Balances Cleanser and Cetaphil Face Moisturizer BUT now that the Exton Origins has decided to close their store, I decided maybe it was time to switch things up a little. My skin is sensitive so this is always an unpleasant feat.
Here's what I decided on:
(Sorry for the lousy image)
Schick® Quattro for Women® TrimStyle®
Schick® Quattro for Women® TrimStyle®
Have any of you tried this yet? I bought it yesterday @ Wal*Mart for just about $10 ($9 something) but I haven't used it yet. I'm interested to see if it lives up to the hype. :)
Hmmmmm...what else can I talk about since I am kinda on a roll here...
Oh yeah! How about American Idol this week?

Any fans out there? I am. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasures and I am not ashamed to watch religiously what my brother-in-law has dubbed "fast food for the mind". I personally loved this year's competition. Much less poppy and more what I'd call "indie" which I love. Both Lee and Crystal are amazing and I think that there haven't been 2 more deserving canidates for the top spot in a long time. Crystal - the best new talent that I've seen in a while - can't wait to buy her first album. Lee - also great and am happy for him that he won. While Crystal is a superior singer/musician, I personally think that she'll go far with or without Idol. Lee perhaps may have needed this show to boost his career and with that being said, I think the right choice was made. I don't vote so I really don't have much say anyway but I have been an AI addict since show one, season one and therefore believe that makes me an honorary voter. :) Sad to see Simon go...thought Paula looked and acted totally nervous (maybe she forgot her meds?)...will probably be my last year to watch. So, there's my take on that. :)
Ok so...I'm just about done...one more thing...
Anyone reading the House of Night series by PC Cast and Kristen Cast? I bought Burned before my trip and I'm just about finished with it. Loving this series! At first I was a little turned off by the high school jibber jabber but once in character, it made sense. Now I can't get enough. :)
Alrighty...well, the kids are starting to get up and active and they are asking for breakfast so I better jet and put on my Mommy hat.
Hope that you all have a very happy and fun filled Memorial Day weekend!

Oh yeah! How about American Idol this week?

Any fans out there? I am. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasures and I am not ashamed to watch religiously what my brother-in-law has dubbed "fast food for the mind". I personally loved this year's competition. Much less poppy and more what I'd call "indie" which I love. Both Lee and Crystal are amazing and I think that there haven't been 2 more deserving canidates for the top spot in a long time. Crystal - the best new talent that I've seen in a while - can't wait to buy her first album. Lee - also great and am happy for him that he won. While Crystal is a superior singer/musician, I personally think that she'll go far with or without Idol. Lee perhaps may have needed this show to boost his career and with that being said, I think the right choice was made. I don't vote so I really don't have much say anyway but I have been an AI addict since show one, season one and therefore believe that makes me an honorary voter. :) Sad to see Simon go...thought Paula looked and acted totally nervous (maybe she forgot her meds?)...will probably be my last year to watch. So, there's my take on that. :)
Ok so...I'm just about done...one more thing...
Anyone reading the House of Night series by PC Cast and Kristen Cast? I bought Burned before my trip and I'm just about finished with it. Loving this series! At first I was a little turned off by the high school jibber jabber but once in character, it made sense. Now I can't get enough. :)
Alrighty...well, the kids are starting to get up and active and they are asking for breakfast so I better jet and put on my Mommy hat.
Hope that you all have a very happy and fun filled Memorial Day weekend!






Hey Jen! Loved your blog today!! It's totally ok to go on vacation and then come back and have to recover from being on vacation. Lol!! Dark chocolate is actually good for you. My mom had one Dove dark chocolate every day, I think :) So don't feel guilty. I'm starting to focus on eating healthy, not dieting.....just eating healthy and exercising.......the best you can do! Have a great weekend!!!
ReplyDeletegirl, you are friggin hillarious!!!! i read this blog to steve, i just thought he HAD to hear it:):) especially about the "cranky bedtime moments", LOL, and how u were with people whom you adore:):) and how funny we were. lol. well, girl, we DID have a stoopendous time, didnt we???? (i spelled that wrong on purpose). laughing is tons of fun, especially with u guys. And im so glad you clicked well with steve. Not that i can blame you;) but you know how it goes.....not diggin everyone on vacay can really kill the buzz;) also, i am so glad ur trip out here inspired u so much!!!! AZ is flattered:) cant wait to do it again next year!!!! i am already planning it in my head....xoxo
ReplyDelete