Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to School Anxiety and a Little Workbox Love

So...I've been ordering curriculum a little every day...

and it's been arriving in the mail...a little every day.

Can I tell you how much I love receiving fun packages in the mail?

Seriously...I get a little flutter in my tummy when I see a package on our doorstep.

LOVE. :)

ANYWAY, this post is not about THAT so I digress.

It is, however, about the fact that I am receiving all of this curriculum and the pile as well as my anxiety is building...

And my room is so not even started let alone finished...

and...

I am worried, anxious, nervous, SCARED S***LESS.

I'm thinking...okay, I have about 2 weeks until school starts...which was is the goal that I set for myself.

My armoire did not get moved the other night like I was hoping. And I'm freaking out fine with that...

BUT

Since my armoire didn't get moved, that means the carpet didn't get pulled up...

...which means that the painting has not begun...

...which means the decor hasn't been purchased.

And my bookshelf is not finished (though the lumber etc has been purchased)

...which means that I have no where to put anything.

Which basically means that I have a room that basically looks like a bomb went off.

And it's ugly.

Which gives me anxiety.

I keep telling myself that it'll be okay...that it'll all come together...that there is nothing to worry about...we have plenty of time.

Apparently, everyone ELSE (aka the people who are supposed to be HELPING ME!) thinks that we have all the time in the world...

K, I'm sitting here about to have a NERVOUS.BREAKDOWN.

I'll be fine. Deep breaths.

Just keep planning...just keep planning. (Kind of like Dory from Nemo...)


Okay so...hoo hoo heeeee...hoo hoo heeeee...

Since I am at a bit of a standstill with production at the moment, I have been spending my time searching for ways to make this whole homeschool debacle thing work for us in the MOST efficient way possible.

A while back, Lindsey from The Pleated Poppy blogged about her homeschooling experience using the workbox system...

I had never heard of the workbox system up until that point but when I checked it out and then did even more research on it, the more and more I started to think that it would be a really great idea for our home as well. The more organization the better...especially when you are a newbie like me.

So yeah...I'm gonna do it.

Of course, there is a slight irritation at the moment even trying to figure out which system to use because...though I found this genius thing:


I do not want the colored drawers...I want the clear. Lord knows I will have enough color in the room without a rainbow chest of drawers.

Apparently, they sell the clear ones at Sam's Club but do you think that I am able to see the price or add it to my cart online? Nope.

I need a Sam's Club membership and even at that, it says that "the item isn't available" at the Sam's Club near me. Boo.

So...if any of you know where I can find this cart with CLEAR bins, PLEASE, I beg of you, let me know ASAP.

I will pay in blood at this point.

If I cannot find this in clear...I may go with the Ikea Trofast collection instead...

which may actually work better...IF I can attach casters on the bottom.

Rolling drawers would make my life so much easier.

What about you guys? If you homeschool, do you use the workbox system or are you thinking of using it this year? What works for you or doesn't? I'm the new girl so I have a lot to learn. 

For those of you who are thinking that I am spending a lot of time planning for the school ROOM itself and are wondering if I am thinking about the actual teaching part of it, please rest assured, I am! 

Believe me. I've already begun pouring over the text and I'm reading the book The Well-Trained Mind (see side bar) to gear me up for what's in store. 

I know that it's a big undertaking. 

My children's education is obviously first and foremost in my mind.

I know what will work best for all of us. 

Mommy needs a pretty (and well organized) space to teach in if things are going to go as smoothly as possible. 

And the kids deserve a colorful, fun (and well organized) place to learn. 

Hence all of the hub bub about the actual room itself.

Just to clear up any questions you might have... :)

And no worries, I know that it sounds like we don't have our stuff together right now but we will...

God tells me in his word that if he brings me to it, he'll bring me through it.

In conclusion, I leave you with this quote from Lindsey @ the Pleated Poppy.

"It is so good for me to remember that this homeschooling experience is both and. It is both just what our family needs and the hardest thing to do.  It is both wonderfully beautiful to partner with my kids in their learning journey and terribly frightening."

Well said, Lindsey, well said.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...