My son, Noah, started something on Saturday that has me more than a little freaked out. He started stuttering. It's not your typical stutter though. He throws his head back, scrunches up his little eyes and as loud as he can (and guttural sounding), he tries to force out what he's trying to say. I'm not sure that is a good description but it's the best one I've got. Last night, my mom and my sister had me so freaked out about it that I started thinking that something was REALLY wrong with him (words like Autism and Tourette's were mentioned though he clearly doesn't have EITHER). And then when my husband came home last night and heard him doing it, he cried. My husband, not Noah. It's so heartbreaking to see your child fighting to get their words out. I knew that I had to do something so I called the doctor and scheduled him for a visit this morning. Of course, in typical child fashion, he didn't once stutter while we were in the office. The doctor asked questions and Noah obliged with one word answers and a lot of nodding his head yes or shaking his head no. Figures. Even a sticker didn't get a stutter out. The doctor assured me that it's probably just a typical stutter that kids get at this age. For some reason, between the ages of 2 1/2 and 3, a stutter can come on suddenly for quite a lot of children (boys more so than girls). I did some research on the internet and there are hundreds of stories just like ours. My son, Nicolas (now 6 and stutterless), stuttered when he was this age as well so I shouldn't be shocked by it but I don't know...the head and eye thing has me a little freaked out still (and the doc did say that part isn't all that typical for a stutterer). He's spoken well for so long and now to have this...well, it's a little disheartening. The doc asked me to videotape Noah doing it and he'd be happy to take a look at it, if it would make me feel better. I think that I need to do that. Can I tell you that I feel a little like throwing up about it? Even the THOUGHT of something being wrong with my sweet little buddy has my stomach all tied up in knots. I don't know how parents deal when they get the news that something actually IS wrong with their child. I think of Trey Love and Mike and Missy who are his parents. Mike was a childhood friend of mine - it doesn't seem like that long ago that we were kids. Now we have our own. It was much easier being a kid than having one. No worries or stresses when you're a kid...but when you're a parent...well, that is a whole other story. It's not possible to pray too much or to love too much. Or to worry too much. One of my favorite quotes is from Elizabeth Stone "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." Isn't that the truth?
There are no words for how much I love this little man





XO

we ALLLLLL love him, jen. he is a price:) Im sure everything will work itself out, just like it did for Nicca. Thinking of u guys.
ReplyDeletelove kel
oh my goodness! How precious! I'm really tired right now and can't even describe how I feel about this blog, except love it! Especially the pics!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing,
Lexie Lane
www.voiceboks.com
P.S. Please come and check out our newly redesigned site! Many are already talking about how addictive it can be, which is good, and that you would DEFINITELY gain some followers. Hope to see you there!