Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Venison. It's What's For Dinner.

Soooooo...I know that some of you out there are thinking...ew, venison? GROSS!

I get that. It's Bambi...it's foreign to you...they don't sell it in the grocery stores...la da da...whatever...

Well, my husband happens to be a bow hunter...specialty, the white tail deer...and so therefore my family is blessed with venison on the regular.

If you've had a "bad experience" with venison, I'm sorry. Pretty sure that you just haven't had it prepared well for you. My husband feels honored when I cook his beloved venison that he worked so hard for so I've kinda become a pro at cooking it.

We use ground venison in anything that you'd use ground beef for...chili, meat sauce, sloppy joes etc...oh and my husband makes the BEST 1/2 venison 1/2 beef burgers EVER.

We use the steaks either as steaks or cut up for dishes like steak fajitas, steak Caesar salad and a dish that I made tonight...Steak Fettuccine Alfredo.

Here's how I made it:

First, any time you are going to use venison steaks, marinating is really a must...the longer you marinate it, the better it's going to taste. The marinade will replace any gamey flavor that you may be afraid of. Today, I marinated the steaks in salt, pepper and a light Caesar dressing. I put them in this morning and they marinated until about 6 o'clock tonight.

Second, venison does NOT need long to cook at all. There is VERY LITTLE FAT if any on a venison steak and therefore, the cook time is only a few short minutes on each side...depending on your taste...medium rare, medium, medium well etc. We like ours medium rare, as any steak lover should...in my humble opinion. ;)

I pan fried my steak tonight but it's also great on the grill...gas, charcoal or George Foreman. ;)

Boiled some pasta (Fettucine) and warmed the sauce (tonight, I used Classico's Roasted Garlic Alfredo) on the stove...

Once the pasta and sauce were warmed and steaks were ready, I tossed them all together and topped it with a little Basil (would have rather had parsley, but I was out) and ground pepper.


Did I mention that venison is super healthy for you? Very little fat and it's organic too...(most of them came from our own backyard) :)

Don't get me wrong, I am not some MAJOR venisontarian (huh?) by any stretch of the imagination...I still really love my chicken, pork, beef etc...but if you happen to be a hunting widow like me several months of the year during white tail season, at least you can find some solace that there are some yummy options out there and make the best of your man's time in the tree stand. ;)


Enjoy!

XO

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison;

2 comments:

  1. RIP Prancer LOL - this reminds me of the Grey's Anatomy episode when the dad hits a dear and the son insits he put in in the bed of the pickup and take it to the hospital and they are able to revive it. I can totally picture my imaginary husband (lol) pulling up with that in his truck for the first time and I'd be like "NOOOOOooo....and start pounding on it's chest saying 'breath baby breath!'...Kudos to you for preparing it with love :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a RODM girl. (raised on deer meat. yes, I just made that up) It is my favorite meat in all the world. It's insane how much healthier it is for you! And I'd still choose deer tenderloins over an expensive steak in a restaurant ANY day. :) Good for you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...