“You are her daughters.” The emphasis is on what caused the change rather than the change itself. Literally, the original means “you became her daughters”. The way we become daughters of Sarah is through a commitment, a decision, to developing the habit of doing what is right and not giving in to fear. When we obey God and focus on the internals over the externals of life, we gain a less complicated life. We become low-maintenance women.”
We often hear the term “high-maintenance woman”. I have heard some women describe themselves as “high-maintenance” and I’ve also heard other people refer to some women as “high-maintenance”. I never thought much about it because I never considered myself to be one until I read Pam Farrel’s (Author of The Best Decisions a Woman Can Make – the book study is based on) description of a low-maintenance woman.
Here are a few principles that she taught her boys so they could steer clear of high-maintenance women. (And definitely ones I will be following as well once my boys become of age to start looking for a woman – I thank the Lord THAT is years from now)
“The less clothes a girl has on is directly proportional to the amount of baggage she is carrying emotionally. Little clothes means many bags. She’s a high maintenance woman. A high maintenance woman puts people in no-win situations. For example, she’ll ask, “Do I look fat in this outfit?” If you say yes, she’ll burst out in tears. If you say no, she says, “Oh, you have to say that – you’re married to me” or “You’re only saying that because I’m your friend.”
Here are some of her pointers on how to spot a low-maintenance woman (or LM women):
Either she will be wearing this shirt:
(though, probably not) ;)
OR
- An LM woman doesn’t ask for compliments, but she graciously receives them when given.
- An LM woman knows that winning and whining are spelled differently and should never be used interchangeably.
- An LM woman doesn’t try to wear you down. Instead, she seeks to build you up.
- An LM woman follows as well as she leads.
- An LM woman is more interested in the team working than the theme working.
- An LM woman knows how to use make-up, but she doesn’t hide behind it.
- An LM woman believes personal happiness is a benefit, not a goal or a right.
- An LM woman accepts a man’s input without needing his attention.
- An LM woman appreciates her girlfriend’s input but doesn’t need her approval.
- An LM woman realizes that a bad hair day, a broken nail, a run in the panty hose, or a change in plans are a natural part of the ebb and flow of life, not the makings of a tragic epic suitable for a TV miniseries.
Did any of those stand out to you and you thought…eesh…I think I’m high-maintenance in that area! I know that a few stuck out to me. The one that stuck out the most to me personally is that I am certainly guilty at times of thinking that I have a “right to be happy”. I’m also not a huge fan of “a change in plans”.
Home and Family
What are the two sources of significance that we rationalize the most in our heads?
You probably guessed…home and family (and the title of this section would imply)
The question is…do we value our homes and our children TOO much. Is it possible to value them TOO much? Our home for sure…easy; but our children? I know that it doesn’t seem possible but if we are truly honest and if we truly want to be authentic women, we have to say…yes, there are definitely a lot of times that I put my children before ANYTHING. Before my husband…before God…when that happens, we are valuing them TOO much (I have to admit that even saying that makes me cringe). I am guilty of this in the third degree and if it was illegal, I’d be on death row.
Moms, are we putting our relationship with God and our husbands at risk because we are completely wrapped up with our children? And please understand what we're talking about here...we're not talking about not loving our kids...we're talking about really loving them by teaching them how to get our priorities in order. And do you know that by having our priorities in order which is God first, our marriage second and our children third, we are actually giving them MORE security?! I know, crazy right? ;)
Pam Farrel gives an example in the book about a woman in the Bible who was barren. She longed for a child, waited for a child, prayed and begged God for a child. Hannah vowed to give the child back to God if He would miraculously place a baby in her barren womb. God took her up on the offer and Hannah conceived and bore Samuel. When he was my son’s age (preschool), she made good on her promise and gave Samuel back to God. He grew up under Eli’s care and became one of Israel ’s most celebrated faithful priests.
“I think that it is the very act of *giving our children back to God that allows us to be a tool that God can use to grow them. When we hang on too tightly, our children can become possessions of our hearts rather than precious creations in God’s hands.”
(*mentally, not physically - just to clarify)
“Ask yourself: “Do I use my children as a shield, a way to get out of personal growth activities like Bible studies, ministries, or volunteer work that would help me discover God or discover the gifts and abilities He’s entrusted to me? Am I hiding behind my kids because I have areas I feel insecure in, like interpersonal relationships or leadership?”
Um yeah, truth be told, I am sure that I do that at times…
This next paragraph was like one of these super annoying stink bugs in our home…and I heard it buzzing before I saw it and then…it dive bombed my head.
“Has your home become a showplace rather than a source of ministry? Our homes should be places of order, neat enough to live an organized life. But they should also be places in which anyone would be welcome. How welcome does a toddler feel in your home – or a teen?”
OH. MAN.
First, let me preface this by saying that in no way do I think that my home is a “showplace”. It has a lot of work that needs to be done and it is often times very messy. HOWEVER, that question…”How welcome does a toddler feel in your home – or a teen?” ...
Uh, I’m guilty.
My children have recently been charging me. I’m a “no mom”. "No honey, I don’t want you playing with that right now (loosely translated EVER)". "No honey, we’re not going to get into that this minute.” “No, for the thousandth time, we are not going to grandmas today!”
No. No. NO.
I want to change all of that. I want my toddlers and preschoolers to feel WELCOME in my home.
I want to be more of a “yes mom” like Ann.
Yes, you can ride your bike (even though Mommy really wants to be inside doing what I need/want to do)
Yes, you can help me make the cookies (even though when you stir, you have a tendency to spray flour all overly my just washed floor)
Yes, you can break out the Legos and spread them all out in the living room (even though the idea of finding them 6 months later gives me heart palpitations)
YES, I love you more than I love a clean house and peace and quiet.
And yes, let's take this time to sit down together (even though I have a million things to do) and let Mommy tell you about Jesus...
This has been something that has really been on my heart lately, if you can’t tell.
Anyway...
It’s about NOT seeking significance in our earthly treasures but in the one and only real heavenly treasure, CHRIST.
“We don’t have to hype ourselves up by depending on a title, material possessions, power, or position. You don’t have to grapple or claw to hold onto a symbol of prestige. This is a book (or blog study) about attitudes – most importantly, God’s attitude toward you. As you come to believe His opinions about you, they will change your attitudes about yourself. Your foundation is secure. You don’t have to go searching for significance – you already have a part in His plan!”
“As you get to know God, He will help you know yourself and know His significant plan for your unique life. When our significance is developed in our relationship with Him, we are free to be good moms, good wives, good career people – and our ability to be good in those areas will come because we don’t need them for our identity. Because we don’t need them, we can be servant and not think of ourselves so much. THEN God can use us.”
Let us all learn to trade in our fears and weaknesses for God’s strength and character.
Isaiah 61:3
A crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of splendor.
I want a splendid life, how about you?
“Decide you want to be authentic. Be the best you that God intended, and trade in the ashes of false sources of significance for the REAL DEAL. God’s power will work through you because of your relationship with Him.”






Hey, I didn't get a chance to read the entire post, but I read as far as the list of what makes a LMW. It was clever, but I thought it was lacking. And I strongly disagreed with one of the points... "An LM woman believes personal happiness is a benefit, not a goal or a right." Whereas I believe, OF COURSE, that as a wife, a mother, or even just a woman who has people she loves in her life, you need to often sacrifice your own "happiness" in the immediate sense, in order to provide for the needs of those around you. However, this should only be a TEMPORARY sacrifice. If you have lost your own personal happiness, how can you ever give your BEST SELF to your husband, children, family, and friends? I don't think personal happiness is a "right", per se. But a goal? IT MOST CERTAINLY IS! I think your personal happiness should be one of your most important goals, as it affects every area in your life. I am not talking about being selfish. I believe strongly in the Golden Rule, Karma, "you reap what you sow", all of that... which are all different names for the basic concept of being unselfish. But your own ultimate fulfillment and happiness is your responsibility, and should be your goal. If you are not happy... what's the point?
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment! I think that the term "happy" can mean so many things. Since I am far from a theological mastermind and also fall terribly short when it comes to explaining the Bible, I'll simply let the Bible do the talking for me. Also, I found this article that explains well what I think Pam Farrel is implying in her message: http://www.bible.ca/ef/topical-but-god-wants-me-to-be-happy.htm - I particularly like this section: Yes -- God wants us to be happy (See Eccl. 2:24; 3:12-13,22; 5:18-19; 9:9; 1 Pet. 3:10; 3 Jno. 2). There is no debate about this - God wants us to enjoy life here on earth, and be happy. He wants us to live joyfully, to see good days, and enjoy the rewards of our labor. But -- if we really want to pay attention to what God wants, let's observe this -- Not only does God want me to be happy, He also wants me to be holy!! (2 Cor. 7:1; Eph. 1:3-4; Heb. 12:10; 1 Pet. 1:15,16; 1 Pet. 2:5,9; 2 Pet. 3:11).
And, we can do it! We can be happy (as defined by God), and at the same time we can be holy (as defined by God.) If we take our definitions and concepts and values from God - regarding both happiness and holiness, it is possible to be happy and holy at the same time.
God does not want us to be "happy" if it involves sin, false doctrine, causing another to stumble, fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, or the pursuit of personal lusts. Real happiness is a product of being right with God (1 Pet. 3:8-12).
I think that Pam Farrel was talking about happiness as in the pursuit of personal lusts. The seeking happiness rather than seeking holiness. Seeking significance in personal satisfaction rather than in the Lord's definition of happiness in Him.
As far as "If you are not happy, what's the point?". We were not created for our own personal happiness, we were created by God FOR God and our purpose is to love God, have fellowship with Him, live for Him and tell others about His love for them by sending his son to die for our sins. Our personal happiness is a bonus for sure but certainly not a right in I believe, God's eyes.
Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
I am not a Christian, but a very spiritual "Atheist", so to speak, all though I do believe in spiritual things, and a conscious divine energy that is in us all. That being said, I think that being happy and holy is absolutely right. But I don't I exist only to please someone sitting up in the sky. If you want to stretch it, you could say, I do think we exist to glorify God,... God being in each one of us. So it's not about just personal happiness, but the happiness of everyone with the divine spark within them- i.e., all people, and possibly all animals and plants and things too! Hence, the laws of karma/the golden rule. I could go on forever, but I cannot do my thoughts justice with my words. :-)
ReplyDeleteHmmmmmm...I'm honestly not sure what to say to that. ;) First, let me say that this comment is not meant to be disrespectful to you but as you know, I am a Christian and these are my beliefs. I know that you and your parents attended my church for years so you know the deal, I won't waste your time and mine trying to convince you otherwise. ;) I'm not sure if you have always believed this way or if it's a new phenomenon for you but honestly, I'm sorry to hear it. In my heart of hearts, I know that the "someone sitting in the sky" that you are referring to is the ONE true living God...and I as well as everyone else that is living on this earth exists for him and because of him whether you want to believe it or not. I am personally so thankful for that! Without Him, your (and my) "personal happiness" would be impossible. This blog is a place where I can express my personal thoughts and opinions, beliefs etc. I appreciate the commentary though...it gives me the opportunity to share my faith and for that, I thank you. :)
ReplyDeleteI totally get that other people gain fulfillment and happiness through their faith, and I think that's great! Please understand that my comments, and my beliefs in general, are NOT meant to be disrespectful. Also, they are not in a spirit of rebellion. I still honor my upbringing, and I am thankful for parents who love me enough to teach me right from wrong. I just feel like my personal beliefs don't fit within the definition of Christianity, and I'd rather be honest than a hypocrite. I have not always felt this way, but only because Christianity was all I ever knew. As I grew older, my faith began to broaden, and I began to realize you can find truth in many places. And flaws in many places too. :-) It's up to us to determine what we believe in personally, so I've just chosen a different path is all. However, I did want to comment on one issue in particular that you said in your previous comment. I must say, I WAS a bit offended. (But know that I'm coming at this with a sense of light heartedness, truly, I'm not trying to sabotage your blog or anything honey!!!) But you said that without the "One true God" (so basically, it has to be the Western version of God the father, son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit, NO OTHER DEFINITION) than I cannot find true happiness. I'm sorry, but that's just not true. It's fine if you say without Jesus YOU cannot find true happiness, because that may be so, and I cannot know your heart. But the truth is that you can't tell other people that you have found true happiness and they haven't. It really is a terrible thing to say when you think about it, you know? You are telling people that they only have a "fake" happiness, and you've found a secret path that leads to TRUE happiness. As if our own spiritual path and our own sincere faith and our own true fulfilling joy that we've worked so hard to find... that it's all useless unless we believe in your particular set of beliefs. I'm sorry, but this point is basically why I have a problem with Christianity as a whole.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I am sorry that I offended you...it was not my intention. This again, is my blog to share my opinions and my faith. With that being said, I DO believe what John 14:6 says that Jesus is THE WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE and NO MAN will come to the father except through him. I will not apologize for that. It's far more important for me to share my faith than it is for me to walk on eggshells and gain false friends. So, here...you will find what I believe (what a blessing to live in a country that still allows that!). I base it upon the firm conviction that this world was created as well as you and I and every living thing by GOD the father. I personally do not see any other rational explanation. Do you ever look around and marvel that every human being is different (even identical twins)? Every flower is different, every snowflake is different? Did you ever take a look at the intricacy of the human body? Inside and out? What about the realm of human emotions? Do you believe in evolution? Do you believe that we just happened into place? That we exploded onto this planet? To me, there is only one explanation and that is that we were CREATED...there is a creator. Genesis 1...in the beginning God. Every thing that happened after that was documented and inspired in God's word. How do you explain the prophesy that has already come to pass? Did you know that Noah's ark may have just been found on Mt. Ararat...which would blow the lid right off of non-flood believers theory's. It's documented in the Bible. If that story is true and so many others (in fact the whole Bible is TRUE)...what would make you believe that the "story" of Jesus coming to earth as a perfect man...devoid of any sin...who grew up to be sacrificed for OUR sin...rose 3 days later and is now sitting at the right hand of his father (God) in heaven? Mary, honestly...I'd rather live this life here on earth...if I am wrong, what is the worst that can happen? I turn into something else in my next life (according to people who believe in Karma)? In my mind, no harm, no foul, right? Or, I don't turn into anything...I just die and this life was completely pointless. I have a very hard time believing that this life is pointless. Isn't it hard to believe that you just keep going...lifetime to lifetime over and over again? Coming back as something new each time? What is the end result, I wonder? What is the point of that? It makes much more sense to me that we were created for His purpose...fellowship with Him. We live this life...there are many lessons to be learned. We have a choice to accept his free gift...or we have a choice to turn away and reject him. We do have free will. Not forced to do anything. But in the end, if we choose right, we will live eternal life with him. I don't know about you but honestly, I'd rather find out that I was wrong in the end with no harm, no foul than choose a different faith...or worse, choose not to believe at all and find out that HE WAS RIGHT.
ReplyDeleteI certainly agree that this is YOUR blog and you SHOULD absolutely post your own opinions and faith. And please understand, I have nothing against you believing your faith! But maybe just understand that people besides only Christians can be truly happy, and people besides Christians can still marvel at the AMAZEMENT of the universe and not think it is "all just chance" or "pointless". Personally, I am FASCINATED with quantum mechanics which is sort of the science of the divine. And know that I'm not the skeptical kind of Atheist that thinks we are all just bacteria that evolved. I believe in divine energy. I believe in the supernatural. I believe in a world beyond what we can see. But I do not believe in Christianity. And all I ask for from my friends and family who DO practice the faith I grew up with, is to just be able to say, "Hey, this is what I believe, but I COULD be wrong. But this is what I chose, and I cannot prove that it is better or worse than your choice." ...It sounds like that is pretty much your attitude, except for a few small assumptions about what other people may believe (i.e. that I don't marvel at the things around me?) But all in all, I think you're a great person, and I want you to know that! I love reading about your thoughts and your home and your beautiful children. I find it a pleasure to be friends with people who hold different beliefs than my own, because I enjoy challenging my own beliefs to make sure they can stand up to questions and criticisms. I don't enjoy debating ALL THE TIME though of course. Just a friendly thing here and there is all. I have many many many friends from VFBT and I don't apologize for my beliefs to them, NOR DO I ASK FOR THEM TO APOLOGIZE FOR THEIRS. I truly respect their beliefs, and I am happy that they have found faith in something. I think FAITH, in general, as a broad concept, is SO IMPORTANT. Even for scientific reasons!!!! OMG you have to watch this movie called "What the bleep do we know?" Yes, bleep is the actual title. It's fascinating from any perspective. It's long, but you can find it on youtube in about 16 installments. It gets a bit goofy in the middle with some flubber creatures trying to bring humor into the documentary, but just bear through it and you'll be amazed! It's a good sample of the type of information that just blows me away, I love it! Especially the dual-particle wave experiment (the slit experiment), and the experiment the Japanese guy did with water. Look it up!
ReplyDelete