Sunday, June 6, 2010

How Does My Garden Grow AND 100th Post Giveaway Instructions


...my garden patch = success!

Okay, so it's not really a "patch" per se...but rather more like a garden via pots sitting on a baker's rack on my deck. In my mind though, it's still success. :)

I've been wanting a container garden for as long as I can remember but when I visited my cousin, Kelly and her boyfriend Steve in Arizona, I got inspired to just do it already!

This past Friday, I made my someday dream a reality and purchased some herbs and veggies...finally! Potted them last night and here it is...my very first ever container garden...

I'm starting out with the basics...

Parsley...Sage...Rosemary and Thyme...




The thyme is located in the front left - chives and basil are also included in this pot


I also got THIS basil plant...which smells DIVINE - actually all of the herbs smell DIVINE which is part of why I love them and am becoming a huge advocate for FRESH herbs


Okay so that's it for herbs...now let's move on to veggies

I got a couple of tomato plants...

This one already has 2 tomatoes on it!

As you can see, I even got a cage for it - can I tell you that I am a COMPLETE DORK and haven't felt such elation at purchasing an item in a long time as that silly tomato cage.

This is a smaller tomato variety - kind of shaped like a Roma tomato - her name is Juliet. HAHA - I just realized something ROMA-EO and Juliet. K, now this has become my favorite plant 'cuz I totally love that. My wish is that thou dost produce a vast amount of fruit...


Here are my Larry the Cucumbers

And I'm gonna call these guys Sergeant and Mrs. Pepper


I can't tell you how much joy potting these plants gave me last night...and to somehow put my joy into display, my neighbors literally set off awesome fireworks at the very moment I watered my last pot. Ha! :)

I'm hoping that my new veggies and herbs do well...I'm working on making my thumb a little greener...

My pansies which I've had for a couple of months are still doing remarkably well in the heat...


A couple of other things of note since I don't quite feel like coming to a close just yet...

I got this cool little lantern thingy at a yard sale last weekend...

It's kind of a lot of glass for a tea-ny (Oh, I am cracking myself up today) tea light so I may switch it out with a votive. The tea light came with it so...whatev's.

Also, check out this little rooster I got at a yard sale for $2 last weekend...


Super cute, right? I'm strangely attracted to roosters at the moment. Like I have some kind of rooster radar or something...oooh, I like how that sounds..."Rooster Radar". Told you - COMPLETE DORK.

Um...in other news...I rearranged my living room furniture...again...

It feels a lot more intimate...wish that I could do something about the darkness of it all though...when I walk into the room, it automatically makes me feel HOT...and not like "Oooooooh, Salvatore brothers hot"...(lol - had to throw that in there)...like "Ugh, I'm stifling, get this wool blanket off me in the 100 degree weather hot". Any good thoughts on how to lighten things up while keep the same color scheme?

OH! I almost forgot...I picked these babies out of my neighbors trash the other day...


I broke out into a nervous sweat and gawked around like I was guilty of a major felony before I carried them across the street but hey...what really matters is that I got them. I also bribed my 5 year old son to come with me...I don't know why...for protection?! lol

I took 3 at first...not wanting to be too greedy...if someone who trash picks could even be considered something as posh as "greedy"...ew, rats are coming to mind now. Gross.

Anyhow, I decided to go back for the 3 remaining shutters (this time, Nicolas could not be bribed so I had to brave it alone). I prayed that no one saw me and I know this is WAY LAME - but remember, this is coming from someone that USED TO want to literally wear sunglasses and a hat into Wal*Mart so that no one would think that I shopped there. And no, I don't know why. It's not like I grew up Miss Megabucks or anything. I'm a whackjob...there I said it so you don't have to. ;)

So...now I have...

6 metal shutters and I know exactly what I am going to do with them...or at least most of them...not sure exactly how many I'll need for my project.

But tell me...

This is going to be your entry comment for my 100th post giveaway.

Put your creative thinking cap on and tell me in a comment...what would you do with them? Also, please feel free to tell me if you "shop at the curb" (I just made that up and am seriously cracking up in my mind about it) and what was your most favorite trash to treasure creation that you've done.

K? K.

Everyone who comments (And sorry...but entries of "I would never trash pick, how disgusting!" will not be valid - if I can do it, you can do it. lol) will be entered in my 100th post giveaway drawing. Prize still to be determined as I did not get to HomeGoods today.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

XO,
Jennifer



14 comments:

  1. I love all your potted plants.. So cute.. I also really like the rearranged furniture.. Looks very cozy.. and inviting..

    I really like the idea of headboards that someone made on fb.. but privacy fence on your porch not that you need it but you could hang lights on it for at night.. I'm sure whatever you do it will be cute and creative..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your potted plants, too.

    As for your shutters - you could make them into window boxes for the front of your house.
    Or, you could put two together, hang them on the wall and make a photo display by putting different picture frames on it.
    Window valence? I saw that on the web and it looked cute.
    Another idea i saw was to put them INSIDE the house on either side of your window (if yours are big enough - your shutters look large).
    That's all my research could come up with. I'm not creative so I go straight to the web. Can't wait to see what you do with them, though!
    (by the way, this is Amy - not Ryan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know I'm a trash picker and my favorite trash-picked item is the serving cart I just re-vamped. Gosh, I have lots of ideas for your shutters. You could hang one in your entryway to be a mail/letter holder. I've seen that somewhere in blogland (you just seal off the back so they don't fall through the slats) Don't know how big they are in relation to your big mirrors but you could hang 2 along either side if the size is close. You could group a few together on a big empty wall and hang a big beautiful wreath in the middle. or hook some votive cups to it, headboard, garden backdrop, shall I go on?? I've been looking for some old shutters to prop up on my mantel, so hey....if you don't use all of them...;-)

    And your container garden looks great. Hope you enjoy the fruits, um, I mean vegetables, of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. damnit, LOL, my suggestion was to use it in the kitchen for mail or notes and such...or PICTURES! you can place em in the hall or someone and place pictures in them:) i like the idea of putting them outside with ur new garden!!!!! with white lights on them and turn them on while u sip on turkey hill lemon iced tea on ur deck:):) or if u want to get REAL creative, are u a painter??? you could paint something on it??? like something seasonal? im also thinking of bringing in some old chicken coop wire, you know what im talkin about? hinging the shutters all together and somehow using the wire as a cover, like a "roof" of some sort....im just rambling, if it makes ANY sense.....or (did u have all 4???) screw the 4 together as 4 sides, but something on top as a table top for more plants!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh ps. good job on the herbs!!!!!! just be careful not to OVER water them. ive seen plants get moldy and it attracts bugs. only water when totally dry!!!!! love it!!! im glad they are bringing u so much joy. i think thats why green has been my favorite color for forever...oh, i have a recipe for u. its a pasta salad, which i know everyones made but instead of using italian dresssing, i have a salad dressing recipe that my friend gave me a while ago and i tried it today on PASTA salad (instead of the typical green salad) and its sooooooo good. love u lots!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! Looking forward to the recipe. Also, thank you so much for the watering tip. I will definitely have to adhere to that. I'm so used to watering things every day but I def do NOT want moldy herbs. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jen, I love the shutters, and I love that you trash picked them, and I love that you bribed your son to go with you! Long ago my best friend from work and I were driving back from lunch and we saw some old windows on the side of the road, so my friends swerved to the side and we "shopped". I remember looking around thinking that someone was going to think we were so weird! But I still have the old window. (It is in my storage right now, but once my brain cells function a little better - someday, right? - I will think of something creative to do with it.) Speaking of no brain cells, I am not the greatest at thinking up creative things at the moment, but my first thought on the shutters was hanging 3 of them together and hanging a nice framed photo of each kid (w/ the pic frame hanging from a pretty ribbon) on each one.
    Happy 100th blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, dear. Here's my idea. :) I am all about making a statement. You know that by now. I would literally hang ALL of them up together, side by side, on the wall. Paint them all the same color, distress them a little bit, and just go for the big "wow" factor. So simple. Such a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm funny - I would totally use them as shutters, but that's b/c I have desperately wanted to put shutters on all our windows for the past 2 years! (Oh and I would totally trash pick too!!!) I think hanging three on the wall would be cool as a one of a kind wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. White or light colored linen throw pillows on the sofa would totally lighten it up. It is so tricky to decorate for the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa - is this your entry comment? Just need to check to see who all is eligible for my blog giveaway! :) P.S. I agree! I have a hard time decorating for the spring/summer season due to the all around darker color scheme my house has going on. I have some little cream pencil starfish scattered here and there trying to bring a little summer in but it's hard...it's still not quite working for me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I found a toy for my child that looked like it just need a bit of cleaning I would so put on my breaks and turn around and get it!

    For your shutters I think it would be cool if you had a wall in your house hang two of them up and put a mirror in the middle.....or a painting of some sort....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would paint some wild flowers on them and use them on your porch...but really..whatever you do with them will look awesome...cause you are incredibly talented like that!
    Oh and by the way....my mom is a trash picker :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH CRAAAAP!! I'm late and everyone has stolen my ideas....SO...I'm gonna go out on a limb here BUT this is my stellar idea/entry post....I think that you should totally build a mini rooster coop with them for your backyard and have your very own rooster....whaddya think?? I for one, think it is a super FAB idea and worthy of a...ehhem....prize ;) If I don't win I won't TOTALLY disown you as my cousin SOOOO....it's cool....(not really). :/ LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...