Friday, January 21, 2011

Recipe for French Onion Soup - Finally!


Okay, so here it is as promised...like a month ago. Oops!

French Onion Soup

prep. 20 min., cook: 1 hr.

1/4 cup butter
5 medium-size white onions, thinly sliced (about 3 pounds)
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef consomme
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh parsley sprigs
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
6 (3/4-inch-thick) French baguette slices
6 (1-ounce) Swiss cheese slices
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and cook, stirring often, 40 minutes or until golden.
Add chicken broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Remove and discard herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into 6 ovenproof bowls; top with bread and cheese slices. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 4 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Values:
Per serving: Calories 297 (51% from fat); Fat 16.7g (sat 9.9g, mono 4g, poly 0.6g); Protein 15g; Carb 22g; Fiber 1.6g; Chol 52mg; Iron 0.8mg; Sodium 1885mg; Calc 296mg

This soup is DE-LISH and seriously just as tasty if not better than any French Onion Soup I've ordered in a restaurant. Better late than never! Enjoy!

XO

Me

4 comments:

  1. I love french onion soup! This looks great! What kind of wine did you use? I never know what kind of white wine is dry. It's liquid! It's WET!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel - This is probably a major faux pas but I used white COOKING wine...I forget the exact name or flavor or whatever...I'll try to remember to look when I get home and get back to you on that. It's just what I already had in the cabinet. I rarely ever buy wine and when I do, it's typically red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOH, Steve's favorite!!!!! Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I will make it for us one night when we come to visit you in AZ! That would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...